Jump to contentJump to search

Erasmus+ Traineeship

You are a medical student at a university that holds the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education outside Germany and would like to undertake a clinical internship at our University Hospital Düsseldorf (UKD), and apply to your home university for an Erasmus+ Traineeship grant to afford this internship? If so, we have summarized all relevant information for you on this page.

Erasmus+ Traineeship is an EU-funded programme that provides financial support for internships (e.g. clinical internships) in European foreign countries for a minimum of two months and a maximum of twelve months. For their internship abroad, students have the possibility to apply to their home university for an Erasmus+ Traineeship grant, as a contribution to their travel and subsistence costs while abroad. A clinical internship can be a “Famulatur” (for 3rd-6th year students), or a “Hospitation” (for recent graduates, i.e. within one year after graduation) – both are qualified for Erasmus+ Traineeship funding. If you would like to undertake a clinical internship at our university hospital under the framework of Erasmus+ Traineeship, you will have to organise the internship placement yourself. Please contact the clinic of your preference at the UKD directly to find out whether an internship placement is available and how to apply. You can find an overview of the clinics of UKD here. Usually, you will need to submit a CV, a letter of motivation, a letter of recommendation, a certificate of enrolment, a complete Immunization Record as well as a German language certificate (recommended level: B2). A template for the Immunization Record is available in the download box in the right-hand panel of this page. Please turn to the chosen clinic to find out whether an English language certificate might be accepted instead and whether further documents are required.

For Erasmus+ Traineeship neither an Erasmus+ partnership between your home university and Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf (HHU), nor an official nomination by your home university is required. A trilateral contract (Learning Agreement for Training) should be concluded between you, your home university and the chosen UKD clinic directly before commencing the internship. Normally you will receive the trilateral agreement from your home university. You can also find it on the Erasmus+ website: Learning Agreement (see the right-hand panel of this page).

Please note: There is no central office for Erasmus+ Traineeship at HHU! Even if you are a student enrolled in one of our Erasmus+ partner universities, you will have to inquire and apply directly to the preferred clinic for an internship opportunity. In other words, an Erasmus+ partnership does not play a role in case of Erasmus+ Traineeship. As an Erasmus trainee you can be enrolled at HHU.

General information about Erasmus+ Traineeship can be found on the Erasmus+ programme page of the EU (see the right-hand panel of this page).

Responsible for the content: