Jump to contentJump to search

Nursing Service Abroad

You would like to gain study-relevant experience abroad already in the first two years of your studies? It is possible! Because the nursing service can also be completed abroad according to § 6 para. 3 ÄAppO.

General guidelines

Nursing service is mandatory on a bedside nursing unit in a state or nationally accredited hospital. Nursing service may be completed in a rehabilitation facility if the comparable nursing effort can be demonstrated. The template for this can be found on the LPA site.  

The completed nursing service must be certified by a certificate. A template for the certificate in English can be found on the page of the LPA. The certificate must clearly indicate the institution. If it is not clear from the stamp of the institution which hospital it is, an additional certificate from the institution must be submitted, briefly describing the hospital with the number of beds and wards. See the "Sample Hospital Status" form on the LPA site.

Note on insurance coverage

During your stay abroad, you are not insured through HHU or UKD. You must clarify your insurance status abroad in advance with the respective foreign institution. If necessary, you must take out the appropriate foreign insurance (health, liability, accident insurance, etc.) before your departure.

Organization on your own initiative

The nursing service is in your hands and must be organized independently by you. The International Office in the Dean of Studies can support you with questions and/or problems, but the final organization is your responsibility. Inform yourself extensively on the internet. Often you can find detailed information about applying for a nursing service on the homepage of the desired hospital. Otherwise, it is best to contact the nursing service management of the respective hospital in good time in order to apply. In most cases, a short application with a curriculum vitae will be requested. Contact Mr. Yiliqi in the Dean of Students Office if you need signature for your application form, a Letter of Recommendation, and/or assistance with the application.
Also, please inquire with Ms. Wacker in the Student and Testing Administration Office about options for recognition of your nursing service abroad.

More information about the nursing service

External funding opportunities

All funding opportunities are presented as part of our Medicine goes abroad event series. The presentation slides can be found in Ilias (folder "Slides Medicine goes abroad").

The recognition of your nursing service abroad is done by the Student and Examination Administration of the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.

On our website about the nursing service you will find general information about the clinical traineeship guidelines, application forms and certificates in several languages as well as contact persons.

Do you have further questions?
Do you need a Letter of Recommendation/Dean?
Do you need help with your application - seal and signature?

Then come to Mr. Yiliqi's office hours in the Dean of Medical Students Office:

Tuesdays 10-11am & Wednesdays 3-4pm.

The personal consultation hour is cancelled until further notice. Instead, consultation will take place by e-mail or telephone.

Responsible for the content: