Jump to contentJump to search

CIY Abroad

You also have the opportunity to go abroad during your internship year! In principle, you can complete one tertial, two tertials or even the entire practical year, i.e. all three tertials, optimally abroad. It is also possible to split one, two or all three tertials into two sections of eight weeks each and to complete one part abroad and the other in Germany (also outside HHU).

Please note: In the case of a split tertial, one half must be completed in Germany! You therefore enjoy the freedom to shape your clinical internship year entirely in your own favor.

General guidelines

Before applying to the desired foreign institution, you should make sure that it has already been recognized by the Landesprüfungsamt für Medizin, Psychotherapie und Pharmazie (LPA). The list of foreign institutions already recognized by the LPA can be found here.

If your desired foreign institution is not on the LPA list, you must have it recognized by the LPA through a so-called "equivalence procedure" before starting your respective clinical internship year.
Further information

Please contact Mr. Yiliqi in the Dean of Studies Office if you have any questions about this.

Student status abroad

Students must be enrolled in medicine at the local university during the clinical internship year abroad. If this is not possible, the student status must be certified by the so-called "Confirmation" document. It is advisable to make sure that the medical faculty of the foreign university will actually certify the required student status before you start your respective tertial. The template (multilingual) for both the tertial certificate and the status certificate ("Confirmation") can be found on the website of the LPA (Certificate of Practical Training in the Hospital Abroad).


The subsequent recognition of the tertial abroad is carried out by the LPA.
Note: If the compulsory tertials in surgery and/or internal medicine are completed abroad, this must be indicated accordingly as "surgery" or "internal medicine" on the tertial certificate! Certificates with sub-subjects such as "Cardiovascular Surgery", "Hematology" or similar are not permitted for the compulsory tertials.

Note on insurance coverage

During your tertiary abroad you are not insured by the HHU or the UKD. You must clarify your insurance status abroad in advance with the respective foreign institution. If applicable, you must take out the appropriate foreign insurance (health, liability, accident insurance, etc.) prior to your departure.

Further information on absences, splitting, proof of the national language, etc. can be found in the "Practical Year" information sheet.

See the information sheet on the clinical internship year according to §§ 3, 4, 12 of the Approbationsordnung für Ärzte (ÄAppO, 6. PJ abroad, e)

Organizing on you own

As a rule, the organization of the clinical internship year is your own responsibility and must be individually adapted to the respective foreign institution. If you organize your clinical internship year on your own, please read the aforementioned information on guidelines and recognition thoroughly in advance! In addition, inform yourself extensively on the internet, read the experience reports in Ilias, written by your fellow students, and contact Mr. Yiliqi in the Dean of Studies Office if you need a signature for your application form, a Letter of Recommendation and/or help with the application.

PJ an unseren Partnerhochschulen und -einrichtungen

You are welcome to apply for a (half) clinical internship year at one of our partner universities and institutions. Please note the current announcements on our website.

Clinical internship year within the Erasmus area

CIY tertials within the so-called "Erasmus space" can be funded within the framework of "Erasmus+ Internship". Unlike "Erasmus+ Study" (for a semester abroad), an Erasmus+ partnership between the foreign university and the HHU is usually not necessary for Erasmus+ Internship.

In this case, you must organize the clinical internship year yourself. After you have received an acceptance from the foreign institution, you can apply for financial support via Erasmus+ Internship at the International Office of HHU.

Please note that funding of clinical internship years via the Erasmus+ Study program is not possible. Only semesters abroad can be funded through Erasmus+ Studies.

Clinical internship year outside the Erasmus area and overseas

If you will complete your clinical internship year outside the Erasmus area (e.g. in Switzerland) and/or overseas, you can apply for financial support through the HHU Mobility Grants or the PROMOS scholarships at the International Office of the HHU. Detailed information can be found on the International Office page.


Funding opportunities from the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) can be researched in the scholarship database or can be found in the current announcements.

Further external funding opportunities

Further external funding opportunities are presented in our information event series Medicine goes abroad. The presentation slides can be found in Ilias (folder "Slides Medicine goes abroad").

An expense allowance or payment within the framework of a clinical internship year abroad can be accepted in full. However, BAföG recipients should note that the tax-free allowance of approx. 5,400 euros per year is not exceeded. (see: Bafög - Which allowances are granted?)


Do you have further questions?
Do you need a Letter of Recommendation/Dean?
Do you need help filling out the application forms - seal and signature?

Then please use the form via this online portal.

A transcript of records in English is available from Mrs Wacker in the Examination Administration. You can download a certificate of study/certificate of enrollment in English here: Digital Study Organisation.

Responsible for the content: